Home - Local News
2013 UA Local 179 Scholarships
June 17, 2013
Applications are now being accepted for the 2013 UA Local 179 Scholarships.
There will be two separate $1000.00 awards presented. One will be given to a Grade 12 graduate entering their first year of post-secondary education and one will be given to a student whom is continuing their post-secondary studies. Eligible applicants will be judged based on 85% for marks and 15% for the written essay. The essays will be read and rated by a panel of independent judges from the education field. All references to the identity of the applicant or the member will be removed from the essays before they are judged.
1. To be eligible an applicant must be a member in good standing of UA Local 179 or a son, daughter spouse or legally adopted child or dependent of a member in good standing.
2. Applicants must be enrolled in a full post secondary education course. (Minimum 20 hours per week, per semester in any licensed recognized post-secondary institute)
1. Letter from Registrar confirming Attendance and indicating that studies are considered full time attendance.
2. Photocopy of the receipt for registration fees.
3. Transcript of marks from last complete year of schooling.
4. A one to two page typewritten essay from the applicant explaining how this scholarship would help them in their studies and how this education will benefit themselves and society. This essay should also describe some of the personal achievements of the applicant. This would include, but not be limited to, academic achievements, athletic accomplishments, volunteer work and community involvement activities.
Looking for a career in the Piping Trades?
LOCAL 179 NEWS
May General Membership Meeting
UA Canada's letter of solidarity with the CBTU
Click the image below to read